Our market position
We are a sector-focused entrepreneurial law firm with deep knowledge of our clients' industries. Whether we are solving complex issues across construction, aviation and shipping, or providing advice across insurance, commodities and energy we have a passion for the sectors we work in. We're people who like to get things done. It's this pragmatism combined with our creative approach that allows us to become our clients' go to commercial advisors.
If you join HFW today you will become part of a firm that provides a range of multijurisdictional, regulatory and dispute resolution legal services to our international clients.
In the last five years:
- Our recent international expansion includes:
- Associations with local law firms in key strategic locations including Riyadh and Kuwait City. We have also entered a Formal Law Alliance (FLA) in Singapore with Asia Legal LLC and have a 'best friends' association in Abu Dhabi. On 1 April 2016 we announced a new Association between our Shanghai office and local law firm Wintell & Co.
- On 3 January 2017 we merged with US energy and marine firm Legge, Farrow, Kimmitt, McGrath & Brown LLP, based in Houston, Texas. The merger brings us closer to existing clients in the region, and gives us a physical presence in the US for the first time. It also creates opportunities to expand our client base and develop business elsewhere in the US and throughout the Americas.
- On 3 November 2017 we formed an association with local law firm Rahayu & Partners in Jakarta demonstrating our commitment to expanding our capability and geographical reach within Indonesia.
- In June 2018 we bolstered our Latin America presence by hiring Brazil's leading aviation partner, Julio Costa, and entering into a cooperation arrangement with a newly established local firm, CAL.
- We have broadened our expertise through a mixture of internal and external growth – in 2013 we welcomed to the firm a specialist construction team from Maxwell Winward; considered one of the largest specialist practices of its kind in the UK. We have strengthened our practices with various lateral Partner hires.
- In the last 3 years, we have promoted 61 Associates to Senior Associate, and 21 Senior Associates to Partner. We have also promoted 4 individuals to our newly created Legal Director role.
- The firm has continued to perform strongly and over half of our turnover now comes from offices outside of London. As part of our strategy for growth, we are continually looking for opportunities to expand the business internationally.